Monday, July 23, 2007

First dream in the first night at my first home

It was my first day at my home – alone. After a long long, really long time, I finally got a house on rent close to my office. The home is a small one, a 1 BHK flat. On the first floor. The only thing I don’t like about the home is that adjacent building windows can peep into my home, if they take the effort to do it. Living on the top floor at my parents house gave me a view that extended to Kanjurmarg. The home towered above rest of the houses and was breezy enough. It might take a little time for me to adjust. Get the curtains, the furniture. All I have right now is a rug and a quilt as my bed, a bean bag as my resting chair. A stove for chaa…

The first thing that struck me is that the house had a layer of dust. So I had to sweep the floor clean and then wipe it too. My colleagues recommended a ‘bai’, but I felt that it is my home, and the reason I shifted is to learn living on my own, without help. And besides with no exercise in our office life, what better than getting down on all fours and wiping 400 sft of floor!

Half an hour of work out (read: sweeping and wiping) and a bath later, I was ready to fall asleep. I put on the AC (It came in the deal) and stared at the ceiling. Surprisingly, I could hear crickets crying. The last I heard them was in my hometown, or probably, it was always there, but I never noticed it. Soon I slumbered into sleep. There was a dream.

I was with a small little girl, Greesha and another child. I was taking them to a film. They were enjoying the film. The film was entertaining. A cartoon film. A film that I had never seen before. I knew she loved it because she was squealing with joy. She was having candy. The fone rang. Greesha and the other child had to return to her home. But she was in no mood to go back. By the time we came out, it was already morning. The fone rings again. The sweet voice at the other end is concerned. ‘Come fast before Ravi gets up or he will be furious’. I take them into the car. As I shut the door, the indicator goes beserk. It makes a noise like my mobile phone. I try switching the indicator off. My eyes open.

Its 6.30. The alarm clock in my mobile phone is ringing. ‘Weird dream’, I think to myself. It was my first dream in the first night at my first home.

2 comments:

Cuckoo said...

Congrats for many firsts.
Isn't it a great feeling to make a home on your own? Right from thinking what to buy to last piece of work ? Everyday you are going to learn the importance of many smaller things which you tend to take for granted.
Do you intend to cook also ? :)

Once again congrats on your achievements.

Prax said...

Thank you so much Cuckoo.

Yes its a great feeling. Soecially when small little things matter. Every thing that you pick for your home becomes a very personal decision and an emotional bond. Well, there are not much stuff in there, but i would build it piece by piece, brick by brick.

Yes! I am going to cook!! Actually, i love to cook other than cooking up stories! ;-)