Thursday, September 4, 2008

Honesty is the best policy!

I was driving through the city right from dawn break. Personal commitments at home made me drive across the city from one corner to the other, making my way through potholed roads, unruly rickshaw drivers, and crazy truck drivers. The drive through a crowded city is enough for my back to cringe in pain. As I reached close to home, an immense urge to reach there made me skip a signal and from out of nowhere popped a man wearing a white shirt and khaki trousers and asked me to park my vehicle on the side of the road. The traffic police man walked towards me with a smile, knowing he had caught a catch.

Traffic police: Look at the signal behind. It is red. You jumped the signal.. Its your fault!
Me: You are right, I am sorry
TP: Show me your license and PUC
Me: (giving him the license) Its a new car…
TP: I will fine you, you can collect your license from the chowky
(At this point he expected me to plead and offer him a bribe)
Me: O.K. Just give me the address, I will collect it.
TP: (surprised) You mean I should fine you?
Me: Yes, I have done a mistake, I should be punished. Please fine me.
TP: You mean you want to pay the fine?
Me: I have done a mistake, so I should pay the fine, isn’t it?
TP: (with a smile) Go! Please give attention to the signal when you drive
Me: You mean you don’t want to fine?
TP: No, Its OK. I know I am doing the right thing!
Me: Thanks dada…

I went back to my car with a smile. I realized that being honest and righteous has its advantage. Now talking about honesty, here is the honest truth – I didn’t have cash in my pocket to bribe him!!!

No comments: