Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Arranged marriage – Meeting no. 2

After the first debacle, I was a little hesitant to meet again. The blind date was kind of a nervous thing, but parents were insistent as ever. I had to call her in the morning and fix on a time. Again didnt manage to see her snap before i met her, but i think it is nice not to see someone before you meet them. The kind of prejudice you might have about looks can totally overpower a beautiful personality that lay within. So, after three consistent call from my mother in the space of 30 minutes, i called her...

SP (Banker):

Me: Hello... is this SP?
SP: Yes, who is this?
Me: P. My dad asked me to call you and see when we can meet!
SP: Well P, the thing is, isnt it better if we could talk and see if we could bear each other for 15 min on the phone, we could meet up personally?
Me: (thinking) Hmm... sounds intelligent (talking) sure... tell me what do you do..

Well, the first conversation lasted around 30 min. We kind a hit it off. So we decided to speak in the evening when both were relatively free. The conversation in the evening wento off for another hour and we decided to meet at CCD. I told her about the incident so we thought it might be better to avoid it and go to Barista instead, but we went to CCD at Carter Road.

Finally on Sunday we met, and spoke. Spoke for more than 5 hours. I knew i had a new friend. When we parted, we knew folks at home will be waiting for an answer. We had hit it off well, but were still uncertain. So we decided to be friends, and give our friendship time.

At home -
Mom: (Wide eyed) What happened?
Me: I made a friend!
Dad: What?
Me: I made a friend!
Dad: You think we are trying to increase your friend circle for you?
Mom: So do you guys like each other?
Me: I mean i like her as a friend and i am not sure if she is the one i want to marry!
Mom: What should we do? What should we tell her parents?
Me: I dont know!
Dad: I dont know why we are even looking for a girl for you. Did you know, we have checked 107 horoscopes by now and she is one of the few that has matched so well...
Me: OK, wait for their call...

I called her up after the conversation. Came to know it is the same reaction on her side too.

Now, I am sure, i am figuring out a way about marriages. Dont know how it works. There have been many divorces happening around and that adds a little apprehension. I believe, one can live without love, but one will die without friendship!

1 comment:

Sigma said...

well, at least this meeting was better than the first one ;-)
And nice observation :-)